Question
Posted by: Theo | 2008/08/28

Nausea while running long distance

while running marathon or ultra distance i become nauses and vomit after 40km.Only slime comes out and after that i have difficulty in taking in fluids which causes me to dehidrate.

HI theo

Could be a number of things. It's actually quite common, and the cause is difficult to pinpoint. One is excessive fluid intake. You may well be drinking too much, which causes you to throw up. I'm not sure how you drink for the first 40km, but perhaps you are drinking too much?

The second is the type of fliud you drink - perhaps it is too sweet, and maybe you need to mix coke and water or water and Energade/Powerade. The sports drinks are generally made at a fairly low concentration and so it doesn't usually happen, but different people react differently to it. So my advice is to experiment and see if this does not help it a little.

Then, failing this, consider going to a doc and getting some anti-motion sickness tablets, because this is another possible cause. So those tablets might help.