Question
Posted by: Bella | 2011/03/22

Nausea while running

Hi, please help me cos I am at my wits end, what causes one to get nauseous whilst running a marathon and how can one prevent this from happening. I do eat before running but it does not seem to help counter it. Many thanks.

Hi Bella

It could be a number of different things - low blood pressure, possibly high pressure, low blood sugar, and also motion sickness.

Have you noticed that it happens on some days only, or under certain conditions when perhaps it's warmer, or you have something different to drink on the route?

We've found quite a lot of people who do get nauseous later in races, and that's often because of an over intake of sweet drinks - 4 hours of Powerade/Coke mix is not a good recipe. So that's a simple thing to look at - eat salty foods on the route, some pretzels or chips, perhaps?

Also, people have been known to take motion-sickness pills to prevent it, that may or may not work. I think you'll have to do some detective work to find out what the exact causes might be and then look at changing that. But the eating and drinking on the run are good starting points.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/03/31

Hi Bella

Reply to fitnessdoc