Posted by: kv | 2009-09-22

nausea during exercise - anemia related?

Hi there. I have started exercising with a personal trainer at the gym, 3 times a week for the past 2 weeks. Since last week, i have been experiencing nausea after my workout - went to my GP - blood sugar, blood pressure, heart are all fine - doc suspects anemia - he sent me for blood tests, still waiting for results. I am a 25 year old female, i have been anemic before (on and off) and i tend to have heavy periods (im on the pill). My question is: Can the anemia be causing the nausea EXCLUSIVELY during/post exercise? I dont have a problem at other times, and i am worried - i need to know why this is happening, as it is putting me off exercising.

Dear KV
Nausea could be caused by a few factors like dehydration, overexertion, low bloodsugar or exercising on an empty stomach. If you pick up weights and strain a lot it can also be caused by acid reflux. Try eating something like a banana before you exercise and drink enough water before and after exercise.