Question
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2008/09/01

Nausea during Endurance Sport

My son does offroad motorbike racing. He suffers extreme nausea about an hour into the race. He is hyperglycaemic so eats very well before and fuels up during the event as well. It also seems that it is taking longer for him to recover after the event. The whites of his eyes also become quite yellow.

Difficult one, it may be related to the glucose levels. Perhaps the meal he eats before is the cause of the problem? Often when people eat too close to exercise, they actually cause the blood glucose to fall, for various reasons not worth going into in massive detail here. However, I think it might be worth playing around with that diet and the meal, and especially the timing - ideally, he'd want to eat at least 60 minutes before the race, and not closer than that. I'd say 90 minutes is the best timing.

Hopefully that helps a little. The yellow eyes is a symptom I can't explain, though, and if that persists, it might be worth just seeing a medical doctor, after the race if possible, just to have the assessment and a diagnosis.