Posted by: Yvonne | 2012-09-15

Nausea after Massage

Dear Dr,
Three days ago I went for a hot stone and Indian Head massage. The next day I started feeling extreme nausea and by the second day was running a fever with extreme chills shaking my body and am still so nauseas that i cant keep any food down.
People have said its the toxins released by the massage. Is this a normal occurrence with massages and what should a person do to get rid of these toxins.
I do have problems with the top of my spine from an old injury xray showed osteo-arthrosis and also have major sinus problems.
Could this have affected my response to the massages?
I appreciate any insight into this please.
Kind Regards

A massage will improve lymphatic drainage. I do not think that your nausea was related to the lymphatic drainage. It might be possible that the Indian head massage, improved your sinus drainage, in turn causing the nausea. The body's function is to prevent the build-up of toxins. If you live a healthy lifestyle, there is no need to detox. Is it possible that you had a reaction to the oils that was used during the massages?