Question
Posted by: kele | 2011/06/08

nausea

hi Doc

I need to know what can I take to ease my nausea? i''m 7 weeks pregnant. I used to love sweet things but now i can''t stand them. i just force myself to eat. can you recommend something.

Dear Kele
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so nauseous during your pregnancy. This is common during the first trimester or 3 months and will hopefully improve as your pregnancy progresses. There are a number of things you can do to improve the problem. Don't get up immediately when you wake in the morning. Lie in bed for awhile and nibble some dry biscuits or dry toast and then get up slowly. Eat small, light meals more frequently instead of the usual 3 large meals. Suck an ice cube (this may be a bit difficult at the moment when it is already so cold) or a slice of lemon when the nausea occurs. Avoid all fatty foods or very spicy foods and drinking coffee or gas cold drinks. Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and 'Pregnancy' to read the articles I have written on various eating problems associated with pregnancy. If at any time you should start vomiting repeatedly, you must make sure that you are taken to a hospital as soon as possible to prevent dehydration. Also discuss your nausea with the doctor or gynae who is overseeing your pregnancy just in case there is an underlying factor that is causing this nausea (low blood sugar, anaemia, liver involvement, etc). Some pregnant women also find that they tend to react to their prescribed iron supplements. If this is the case, stop taking the iron supplement and make an appointment with your doctor because he/she may be able to change the prescription to a supplement which is less inclined to cause this reaction (for example taking fizzy multivitamin and mineral supplement dissolved in cold water may be less inclined to cause nausea than swallowing a large capsule). Do deep breathing and relaxing exercises when the nausea strikes. Sip a small amount of a cool liquid or have a small portion of fruit. Also make sure that you get plenty of rest.
Holding thumbs that your nausea will soon abate and that you will feel much better for the rest of your pregnancy.

1

Dear Kele