Question
Posted by: Shnoodle | 2011-04-14

Naughty Puppies

I wrote in a while ago regarding my 8 month old miniature maltese poodle, we have followed the rules by the book to toilet train her but every so often she still urinates in the house, I couldn''t understand it.

To cut a long story short, through alot of googeling I have discovered that the medication which we give her for her grass allergy (Prednisone) is the reason for this behaviour. We only give her the meds when we go to the dog park every couple of days, and it just so happens that these are the days that she messes in the house!

Would have been nice of the vet to tell us about this, but anyway. I thought I would share what I have learnt incase someone else is experiencing the same thing.

Not entirely sure what I am supposed to do now, keep her off grass to avoid giving her the pills and deny her the fun of going to the park and playing in the garden?

Poor puppy.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Shnoodle, great to hear from you and thanks so much for sharing this, really appreciate it. I have never heard of it before and will keep a note of it and chat to my vet about it when i see him next. I am just wondering - before we lost our old lady Meggie, she developed a degree of inconstitance and they put her on some mutti (sorry have forgotten name) to deal with this. Now not being a vet i have no idea if it would work but worth a question to vet. Take care and good luck, Scotty

3
Posted by: Scotty | 2011-04-20

Hi again Shnoodle, happened to be at vet yesterday and asked him about the mutti i mentioned and he said would not help. He did say that have you investigated different foods, barrier shampoos, alternative products etc which will go a long way to helping and reducing the problem. If not, do have a chat to your vet about other things that can be done. Good luck, Scotty

Reply to Scotty
Posted by: Pluto | 2011-04-14

I think that vets dont know what the are doing half the time, money seems to be the root of their gain.
Hey Shnoodle, if I were you I would just keep loving my puppy and letting her wee etc, If you really love her you should not mind cleaning up her lillte wee''wee.s. MEDICINE is not always the answer, dogs should be dogs and live dog lives.

Reply to Pluto
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-04-14

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert