Question
Posted by: Shnoodle | 2011/03/28

Naughty Dogs

I am at my wits end with my 2 puppies, I really hope that you can help me. I have a 9 month old male Shnoodle (mini shnauzzer cross maltese) and a 7 month old female mini maltese poodle. Both of them have been sterilized.

The first issue that we are having is that the girl keeps doing her business in the house, i have read all of your advice regarding this and we are busy implementing it, so hopefully it works, at the moment it isn''t really helping.

The bigger more urgent issue is that these dogs seem to go through phases - sometimes when we leave them home alone we come home to a spotless house. Othertimes they destroy everything in their path and we come home to shredded papers, magazines, CD''s that have been bitten into a tiny little pieces, plants brought in from outside, etc etc.

We take them for regular walks, they go to the dog park a few times a week to socialize, they have ALOT of toys all over the house to play with. I just dont know what to do.

We have smacked them, shouted at them,ignored them, actied like nothing happened, i just dont know what to do anymore!

I love my animlas, they are my babies, but they are driving me mad. Im also worried about them eating some of this stuff - like a small piece of the CD, it could cause injury!

HELP!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Schnoodle, if you follow the article advise on toilet training and are consistent with it, i have never known it not to work, the key to success is consistancy, as if you only do it on occassion all that will happen is that the behaviour will be reinforced.
With regard to the dogs only destroying things when you are out, this sounds like the beginning of seperation anxiety - which is somewhere you dont want to go! Without having a full background on the dogs it is impossible to determine is it is seperation anxiety, but one of the main signs is that the dog only becomes destructive when you are out. chances are it is only the one dog and the other dog is mimicing the behaviour.
If this is seperation anxiety you will definately need to get in a behaviourist to help you, it is not something that can be sorted out in a forum as it is very involved.
Smacking and shouting is not going to help at all, it will only reinforce the behaviour. Please contact via my CV information and i can then ask you some relevant questions and help you to get this sorted out.
For the time being, keep some really special chew toys such as the femur of an ox or a large sized chew toy liberally laced with a bit of peanut butter and some biltong stuck in the cracks and leave the dogs in a safe place outside when you do go out. What is very important is that the dogs only get these special chewies when you are out - the second you come home take them away. Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/03/30

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert