Question
Posted by: Jackie | 2008/08/29

Naughty dogs

We found a female dog with her puppies in a church grounds. I took them in, only one pup made it and I decided to keep her and the pup who is now 8 months old. They have access to the entire house and garden, sleep inside and so on. They are extremely destructive and besides ripping my furniture, groceries etc., on Monday they killed my old cat. I have other dogs so its not that they are alone when I go to work. When I am at home they are perfect but I cannot carry on with their bad behaviour.

Dear Jackie

Normal behaviour for a 8 month old dog. If you leave a teenager alone in your house without supervision what do you expect? Get someone to take them for a walk mid day. Get up early and take them for a walk and actually interact and play with them- twice daily.

2
Posted by: kitkat | 2008/08/31

have you got lots of toys for them? you can try things like Kongs stuffed with peanut butter, activity balls with biscuits in, hollee mollees for chasing (latice type ball). also, give them a toy box with all their toys in so they can take them out. and a sandpit for them to dig in (sounds weird, but one of my complaints with my GSDs were that they were digging up my garden. The behavourist basically said, GSD' s dig. let them. so we made them a sand pit and 90% of the time they dig there and no where else (its not perfect). you can also try leaving them wooden logs to chew (make sure its a hard wood so it doesn' t splinter).

It' s not always possible to walk your dogs, but check with your vet, they can sometimes recommend dogwalkers.

Reply to kitkat
Posted by: WR | 2008/08/29

Or make them a run, where they can stay and not destroy when you aren' t home. Works a treat.

Reply to WR