Question
Posted by: Christa | 2011/07/26

Naughty Bullterrier

My sister''s bullterrier is such a sweet dog, but she is def hyperactive!! She is BIG and wants to play all the time, but get so excited that she " bites"  you''re feet and hands,anywhere she can get hold of you or something you have in your hands! She has been spoiled rotten.........she jumps on the furniture, sleeps on the bed, my sister handles her as if she is a human baby! Is there a way I can teach her a few manners when my sister is looking the other way??

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Christa, I love the 'looking the other way' bit! I have an absolute passion for Bullies and have owned many, but trust me, this is not the type of dog that should be spoiled - no dog should, but especially a dog of this breed.
Have a look at the question two before yours 'Biting Dogs' and start the Bite Inhibition exercise described there. Additionally with this naughty little one, I would suggest putting pure Citronella oil on shoes, clothing etc to discourage her from this behaviour.
Also, are you sure she is getting enough physical stimulation by way of daily walks and stimulation such as varied chew toys? A lack of these would cause the behaviour described above to be more than normal.
I would strongly suggest that your sister put in place basic House Rules for her dog. She is just not being fair to the dog otherwise. A dog needs to know who is in charge, who provides the resources, looks after it etc as would happen in a dog pack. I am pretty sure there is an article in the link at the end on basic House Rules on this site which will give you all the info you need. If not, please just have a look at my Friends website under the House Rules which appears in the Puppy section.
Good luck and link below, thanks Scotty
http://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2552-2678,62781.asp

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/26

Good luck and link below, thanks Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert