Question
Posted by: Denny | 2008/07/09

Natural or Fosavance

Hi doc. I am 57 and been diagnosed with osteoporosis of the spine and osteopanae of hips. My mother of 88 has osteoporosis which was only discovered at 78 after fracturing her spine and has been on fosamax every since and has a lot of pain. My doc wants to put me on Fasavance but I have tended to alway try and resolve something myself before going the drug route - heard about nasty side affects of this drug. I take a good calsium supplement and eat loads of veggies, do moderate exercise. I never drink carbonated drink but do drink alcohol. Question is what are long term side affects of Fosavance. What about natural progesterone and which type of exercise is best - I go to curves twice a week.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Denny
Fosavance is a good drug- the side-effect that occurs most frequently is irritation of the oesophagus and upper gastric system. There is also another drug called Protos which is a dual action drug (it stimulates bone formation and supresses the bone cells responsible for chewing away old bone) and even a once yearly injection called Aclasta- all of them available in South Africa
Your life style sounds fine- if you drink alcohol remember to limit this to 2 units/glasses of alcohol per day.
Currently doctors try and give their patients a "drug holiday" after being on a bisphosphonate like Fosavance for 5 years.
Discuss these options with your doctor- natural progesterone will unfortunately not have any positive effect on your bone density and strength.
Walking remains the best weightbearing exercise and you have to walk for at least 3/4 of an hour 3xper week. Ecercise at the gym will help strengthen the back and stomach muscles.

5
Posted by: georgette | 2008/11/12

I need to know what is this medication and why it is to be prescribed for any person? what are the side effects?
How much is it for and how much is it to ship to Egypt, Cairo Location?

Georgette

Reply to georgette
Posted by: maddy | 2008/10/05

can i still have dentel work don while takeing fosavance

Reply to maddy
Posted by: maddy | 2008/10/05

can i have dentel work don while on fosance

Reply to maddy
Posted by: Healthy Bones Expert | 2008/07/10

Hi Denny
I think all the more reason then to be on a bone active drug like Protos or Fosavance.

Reply to Healthy Bones Expert
Posted by: Denny | 2008/07/09

DOC FURTHER TO ABOVE I AM NOT ON HRT in fact had breast cancer 3 years ago as well. thanks

Reply to Denny