Question
Posted by: dog lover | 2008/10/04

natural diet

Please look at the dot com website rawmeatybones and tell me your honest opinion. There seems to be such a conflict of opinion about what is best to feed dogs. I want to do the best for mine but i have already lost two to cancer while feeding them a well known expensive pellet.

Dear Dog Lover

As with everything in life there are hundreds of opinions about this. Some vets are for the diets and some against.

One good argument for the diet is to look at the food of dogs in the wild.

5
Posted by: WR | 2008/10/06

... yup...!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/06

And maybe also a ' natural'  lifespan....

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2008/10/06

It is one thing to feed a natural raw diet, but then you should allow for ' natural'  feeding habits (ie frequency), ' natural'  excercise, ' natural'  sleeping habits (outside etc), and ' natural'  behaviour ito pack-order, discipline etc.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/04

Felicity is exactly right. Creating a complete and balanced diet out of raw ingredients is quite a specialised job, and few people have the expertise to actually achieve this. Not to mention convenience, and you' ll also find it' s not cheap to do it properly.

A decent quality commercial dogfood is the way to go, and will not cause cancer.

I do understand your concerns - I' ve also had to deal with one dog with cancer, and another with leukemia - it' s not much fun. The best advice I can offer is to spay/neuter the dogs - this eliminates several serious potential problems. And if you see anything abnormal, don' t wait - get it checked out. More than that you probably cannot do.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: felicity | 2008/10/04

Raw diets are often advocated in the States etc however one has to then spend a lot of money on ingredients and ensure they are balanced. The " expensive"  pellets are are all scientifically formulated for specific animals (toy,small,medium,large and giant breeds) and they supply the animal within all nutrients required.Specific breeds are prone to some cancer types and the food is not the cause of it-breeding is.If you can replicate the nutritional needs of your pets in a raw diet then try it and see if he animal flourishes.

Reply to felicity