Question
Posted by: SR | 2010/12/06

natural contraception??

Have you heard of a natural contraceptive device called Lady-Comp? It seems to be a device that tells you if you are fertile or not based ona temperature reading you take with the device in the morning after waking up. Have you heard any reports on this device as regards its reliability? Would you advise using this method?

I have not heard of this specific device, but checking the temperature is a known way of timing ovulation. This method is not very reliable though as you can still fall pregnant from sex a few days before ovulation or a few days after.

3

Posted by: Zama | 2010/12/07

Hi SR

That method is the Natural Family Planning method and the device you are referring to is a Basal Body Temperature which measures your basal resting temperature after a stretch of uninterrupted sleep. You chart the temperature for your complete cycle. The downside is that you need to first chart for a full cycle and from that you can tell when you ovulated and it will give you an idea for the next cycle. It works best if you check your cervical mucus and your cervix as well. You really get to know your body and can read your own ovulation signs.

If you would like more info on this method, read up on the net. Search for ''BBT'', NFP

All the best

Reply to Zama
Posted by: Purple | 2010/12/07

Isn''t this just a more sophisticated method of counting your ovulation on the calendar.

Remember that although it is more likely that you will fall pregnant at the time of ovulation, it can actually happen at any time.

I''m currently pregnant from a month when my husband was away the whole night except for the night after my period stopped and we had sex then. I wasn''t even going to do a pregnancy test I was so convinced I wasn''t pregnant but as I was so exhausted I was falling asleep at my desk, I was going to the toilet every minute and a half and my breasts were agony and I felt pregnant and my period was two days late I did it and it was positive. I''m now 17 weeks and my husband and I are still not over the shock yet.

Reply to Purple