Question
Posted by: Amber | 2012/04/09

Natural, c-section, epidural -that is the question

I am 6 months pregnant, and the question everyone keeps asking me is whether I''d be going natural or having a c-section. This is obviously a question I''d ask my gynae, but it still got me thinking. My mother is very much against natural birth as she gave birth to 3 children and subsequently suffered from severe tearing and had to undergo an operation a few years ago. She doesn''t want me to go through the same thing. I am, however, very much for natural with an epidural. My problem with a c-section is that recovery takes long and you might be very uncomfortable when caring for your newborn. Natural hurts like hell but the recovery is a lot
quicker. I read a few articles and I don''t believe I''d have a problem with natural. But at the end of the day the decision will still remain mine. In your opinion, what are the risks? also, when should an epidural be considered? Is it purely for pain relief and comfort?

Looking forward to your reply.

You seem to have a good grasp of the pros and cons. In the end natural birth is safer for the mother. Epidurals are mainly for pain but can be useful if the position of the baby is OP, if there are twins and a few other medical reasons.

4
Posted by: Amber | 2012/04/17

wow! thank you so much for all of the advice! My gynae said that it''s a bit too early to say and that 72% of births are done with c-section. He says that if there are complications, they''d rather do a c-section than put mother and/or baby in any danger (which is perfectly understandable). I''m still opting for natural though. Unless there are complications  )

thanx again to all xxx

Reply to Amber
Posted by: Fran | 2012/04/16

Hi Amber, the question you should be asking yourself here is not what is most comfortable for you but is best for baby, there is a reason why we give birth the way we do and that is for the benefit of the baby. I had an emergency C-Section and I to was up and about within a day or 2, but remember with a c-section you do not get your baby straight away, you wait about an 40 minutes, the stress on the child is worse during c-section, the process is rapid rather gentle introduction. Also remember that if you go c-section now you may never have the chance to go natural, we are woman, we are strong and we do for our babies what is best. I vote natural!

Reply to Fran
Posted by: Gadija | 2012/04/15

Hi Amber
I was scheduled to give birth naturally but due to complications had to undergo an emergency c section. If i had known then what i do now i would have opted for a c section from the word go. I need to mention that i''m not the strongest person i know when it comes to dealing with pain, yet i was up and about the day after my baby''s birth. Two of my cousins had selective c sections before me and they told me i would need to stay in bed for 6 weeks. I proved them wrong since I was up and about the next morning to bath and nurse my baby and though it was uncomfortable, the more i moved the faster i healed. Just some food for thought, all the best with the last few months :)

Reply to Gadija