Posted by: SUE | 2012-08-03

Hi, my son has been diagnosed with being slightly ADD, the neurologist who tested him, obviously suggested ritalin. I have done my research and spoke to other parents and have decided not to put him on. I dont want his personality changed, or him having a lack of appetite. i dont want him having ticks or seizures.
What alternate medication can i give him?? I''m giving him ADDvance multivitamins as he is a very fussy eater, I''ve seen loads of natural medication at Dischem etc but not too sure, what is right. Please help, i refuse to drug my son at 8 years old.

Expert ImageNatural health

Hi Sue

the most important nutrient is fish oil. When choosing a fish oil one needs to look at strength - not only the mg but more importantly the EPA DHA strength. The fish oil should also not be farmed fish (most cheaper varieties are).
Addressing the diet is also essential : no colorants or flavorants (anything that colors the tongue). no refined carbohydrates including bread (rye is ok), no sugar, no wheat.
There is a lot of ADD products available. i would suggest consulting with a practitioner to find the product most suitable for your son.

Kind regards
Dr Debbie

Posted by: Joanne | 2012-08-29

I know of people that use a product called Rhodiola from Amway and have taken their kids off Ritalin.

Reply to Joanne
Posted by: Jessie | 2012-08-28

What about Shaklee? I love the products.

Reply to Jessie