Posted by: Peppie | 2010-04-07

nasty cough syrup

Doc can you please tell me which is the ingredient in cough syrups like Linctopent that causes tremors and heart palpitations? I need to make a note of it so that I can avoid it altogether when buying over the counter or getting a prescription from a doc. I have a really bad reaction to that, even if I use less than the prescribed dosage.

Your symptoms are most probably caused by orciprenaline sulphate.

Posted by: Peppie | 2010-04-07

thanks Doc!
Good heavens, I see they''ve recalled this stuff in the UK because it''s too dangerous.

" The analysis demonstrated that orciprenaline sulphate is “ significantly less efficacious than salbutamol in terms of both the extent and duration of bronchodilation. Yellow Card reports and clinical trial data show a significantly increased incidence of cardiac side effects, mainly palpitations and tachycardia because of its non-selectivity. Importantly, clinical trial data show that cardiac side effects occur before maximum bronchodilation is achieved because of its non-selectivity.” 

Reply to Peppie