Posted by: Bunny | 2010-11-29

Nasolabial liines

In my 20s but have deep nasolabial lines which make me look much older. Please tell me what the causes are and how I can reverse them

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Bunny, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay but I have been in London attending to my clinic.

Nasolabial folds (NLF) are the folds, lines or depressions that radiate from the lower outer corner of the nose to the outer corners of the mouth. There are two main reasons for their appearance:

As we smile there is a natural fold with the pulling action of the smile muscles producing over time a visible wrinkle and a depression.
The cheek fat pad starts to thin and drop towards the NLF and produces a visible ‘pouch’ that accentuates the NLF.

Treatment is typically dependant on the main cause of the visible NLF and generally speaking one tends to treat the area with dermal fillers or if severe with surgery.

Posted by: lydia | 2010-12-17

If i can give you advice - i have exactly the same problem and im also in my mid-twenties. My advice would be to consult a DERMATOLOGIST to inject dermal fillers. I visited the skin renewal clinic in pretoria and the doctor injected restalyne in my nlf - the cost is R2500 per syringe (usually 1 syringe injected per side) and the result was such a dissapointment! The whole procedure cost R5000 and it was not worth it in the slightest. Rather visit a dermatologist (not a gp) and get it done properly by an expert.

Reply to lydia