Posted by: michelle jones | 2009-11-30

Nasal polips

Besides operation what can I use to shrink the nasal polips.I have a constant cold,my nose is constitly blocked,and chest tight.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Michelle

Nasal polyposis is a difficult problem to manage, and is mostly treated with a combination of surgery and medication. Surgery is indicated if the problem is not controlled on medication, the most important being steroids, either systemically or topically. Polyposis is hardly ever cured, and will always need medication, with surgery from time to time if the need arises. The tightness in your chest may be indicative of asthma, as these two conditions often co-exist. Uncontrolled polyposis will make the asthma worse, so it is often necessary to controll the nasal disease. You need an opinion from an ENT surgeon regarding your nose, but also advice from your pulmonologist/physician regarding the status of your lungs.