Question
Posted by: Reggy | 2010-07-21

Nasal Drip

My daughter of 2 years 6 months is suffering from Nasal Drip, this year alone she was admitted 3 times in the hospital. Currently she is taking Asthma treatment (pumps), singular, Dexelex and nasal spray, all this will work for few weeks and she start coughing terible at night, eventually even during the day. I took her out of diary product and there was great improvement, her nose was not blocked anymore and the coughing has stoped, but I''ve noticed that lately the block nose are back and she started coughing again. So I am starting to think that this will never go away, I want to find out if will she ever outgrow the nasal drip? because it seems like even the medication is not helping even the antibiotics works for two weeks and after that she is sick again.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Reggy

Your daughter is suffering from allergies to certain products which may explain why she never seems better. This indicates the way in which her body is responding to the environment and certain foods, and unfortunately this can not be cured. She needs constant management of the problem to reduce her chances of getting sick. Medications such as the Singulair, asthma pumps, Deselex and the Topical steroid nasal spray are used to control this, and when you stop these products, she will become sick again. These medcications have been developed for longterm (chronic) use, and should be given as such. It is possible for children to outgrow some of these allergies, but only time will tell. Your Paediatrician will advise you when it is appropriate (if ever) to discontinue her medication.