Question
Posted by: Caitlin | 2009-12-01

nasal decongestants and arrythmia

Hi there,
I would just like to know why is nasal decongestants contraindicated in patients with arrythmia? I have acute sinisitus and my dr prescribed antibiotics and sinuclear but when I came home I read the leaflet (alway find it interesting) and noted thatit should not be given to patiens with, among other things, arrythmia. As I have Barlows'  Syndrome and arrythmia I am not sure if I should continue teh sinuclear. Also, I usually prefer Advil CS when I have a cold. Is that a big no-no as wel? I did not mention my heaty condition to the doctor as I did not think it was relevant. It was my first visit to the particular doctor, no blame on him.
Thank you kindly

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Caitlin

These decongestants have stimulant properties and may indeed cause hypertension or arrhythmias in susceptible individuals.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2009-12-02

Hi Caitlin

Reply to pharmacist