Question
Posted by: MOMMY | 2010-08-08

Narcolepsy

Dear doc my 9 yea old went through some eeg test ect we all thought she was add or epilepsy as she falls asleep sometimes 3 -4 times a day the moment she relax and when over exited - has a loss in muscle strength for a few min. - but in the end seems to be narcolepsy - she is very bight and talented. - she is on Concerta 36mg (18 mg was not enough) - She is 85% better daytime but still have difficult nights as she dreams the moment she falls asleep and wakes up with a schock and beating heart 5 - 10 min later - now sleeps throug app 3 - 4 nights a week.
What can I do from my side to help - will she need more medications as she gets older - can I do something to prevent
her needing more medication in the future.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

There are other medications which can help the loss of muscle tone during he day, and which may also help to reduce the dreaming a bit. We often use a group of chemicals called the tricyclics - discuss this with your doctor.

Also, if she can learn to have naps at pre-determined times of day, this often helps to reduce the amount of Concerta she may need.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010-08-10

Reply to Sleep expert