Question
Posted by: Maddy | 2013-02-19

Narcolepcy

I''ve been diagnosed with narcolepsy about 5yrs ago, but I''ve been suffering with the disorder for almost 10yrs. The doc put me on Ritallin, which is effective, but the side effects are too harsh for me. I''m currently on Concerta 18mg as well as other anti depressents. Are these not going to be harmful to my health at a later stage as this is a chronic disorder.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

No, it is unlikely to cause harm. But you can discuss the possibility of using Provigil with or instead of the Ritalin.

1

I agree that Provigil is terrific; it is also outrageously expensive (R4k/month). The generally available Medical aid schemes will not cover this, and very rarely even acknowledges Narcolepsy as a condition. South Africa also had no imports of this drug between 2013-10 and 2014-02.