Posted by: Krea | 2009-04-10

Naprosol EN - Affecting my stomach

I' m taking Naprosol EN, Salazopyrin and Arava for RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis). I know from early years of treatment with NSAID meds that my stomach is sensitive for the NSAIDs. Presently I do suffer from a acute attack of RA and the rheumatologist suggest Naprosol EN for a bit of extra pain relieve. I' m taking Lansoloc 30 mg in morning as I awake and just before my breakfast I' m also taking Mucaine, and last thing before I turn the light of I' m taking Mucaine again, presently my stomach is burning very badly. Is there anything else what I can do to protect my stomach? It is only my second week of taking Naprosol EN.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Krea

Yes, Naprosyn is high on the list of drugs that may cause stomach irritation - even higher than diclofenac (voltaren). I suggest replacing the mucaine with ulsanic. Take this 10-15 minutes prior to your NSAID and see if an improvent is noticed within a couple of days. If not, your doc may have to recommend something else.

Best of luck