Posted by: MM | 2009-03-30

Nanny &  HIV

I would like to find out if I can force my Nanny to go for an HIV test ..s he is looking after my baby and I suspect she might have HIV, she lost a lot of weight and is not as healthy as she used to be when she started with us.. her symptoms is the same as TB the clinic told her to go back for the HIV test but she does not want to hear anything of "  HIV I think she is scared to the outcome if she would go"  but I am worried for her and my baby in her care!???

Dear MM
You can't force her to go for a HIV test. I think you should talk to a labour lawyer to give you some guidance as to how you can manage this situation or post your question on
If she has active TB and she is not on medication, this may be a risk to your baby. HIV only transmits by sexual contact or blood so this would not be a danger to your baby, if she is trained to treat any injuries immediately.