Question
Posted by: Mama | 2010/07/14

Nanny

Just found out yeaterday that my nanny is going TB treatment and she is also HIV positive. My baby safe? Especially TB? Is the nanny able to look aftetr a six months baby? i have so many mixed feelings please give me your opinion

Try asking Cyberdoc, as this is outside of my area of expertise. I'd think the TB might be a more likely and immediate risk to the baby. I would think she should have informed you from the start, about her infectious disease problem. HIV, damaging resistance to infections, commonly occurs along with TV and can make it harder to treat.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2010/07/15

there is pretty much no risk of her passing HIV to your baby.
Tell her straight that she must not comfort your child using her breast.
Ask er to wear gloves when putting plasters on and that if she has a sore on herself she must put a plaster on it, no matter how tiny and that if she cuts herself she must ensure she doesn''t touch your child until it is cleaned and has a plaster on.

Given our countries HIV rates, it is quite likely that around half or more of nannies and domestic workers are HIV positive and I''d say that 80% of the families don''t know.

As your baby has recently been vacinated for TB the risk isn''t that great, but you should have her tested anyway.

As soon as your nanny started on treatment, within 24 hours she stopped being contagious.
Just ensure she is taking her tablets every day and that she eats before she takes them otherwise she will feel quite sick.

In terms of supporting her, just make sure she has enough warm clothes and that you encourage her to take a vitamin supplement and let her know you are there for her, but that you expect her to look after her health.

Tell your child that blood carries diseases and we never touch blood.
I asked a nurse about this as our nanny is HIV positive and she said that whether she was or wasn''t, we should buy a box of gloves from clicks and even if I put a plaster on my husband or my son, we should all wear them every time there is blood and then it just becomes an automatic thing and doesn''t appear strange to anyone.

Reply to Purple