Question
Posted by: Bernie | 2008/12/08

nail skin

The skin next to my index finger nail is painful. I looks slightly swollen en is sore if I apply pressure. Any idea on what is can be or how to treat it?

Hi Bernie
this is probably an infection called a paronychia. Try Bactroban ointment ( thick) and cover with band aid. If you see a yellow area, you can drain it with a sterilized needle - puncture on the most yellow point - it is not sore as the skin is dead there. Draining the pus can give you much relief. You can also hold the finger in warm water (not hot)
this is for kids but same principles apply: http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_nailinfe_hhg.htm