Question
Posted by: Grace | 2010-02-12

Nail problem

Hi Doc,
According to my Dr I have infection in my nails (toenails and fingernails). I had a huge blister under my index finger from gardening and apparently that' s were it might have started. I understand from my doc that it takes a long time heal. First I tried Loceril Nail Laquer but after almost a year it wasn' t getting better and she prescribed trisporal (pulse therapy, 3 repetitions). I' ve tried that and drank my pills as I should have as well as using Loceril but the infection still isn' t going away. What can I do?

Grace

I suggest that you get a second opinion from a dermatologist. It is possible that it is a chronic yeast infection of the nails and nailbed. This is very difficult and expensive to treat but it is curable. A clear diagnosis has to be made, in order for the correct treatment to be given. It is essential to send nail clippings away for culture to confirm if it is a yeast infection or not. This culture can take up to three to four weeks for the results.