Posted by: Jane | 2009-09-14

Nail problem

Hi doc
I am a generally healthy woman of 29 and i eat right and exercise 6 days a week and hardly ever get sick. But for some reason the last few months my nails have been breaking constantly and the tips shredding - the top layers coming off so low that i can' t even cut them that low.
The thing is the nails themselves are quite strong, and i take calcium tablets with magnesium at night and have done for years.
What could be causing this? I' m getting married in 6 months and really don' t want to have to resort to false nails.
Pelase advise!
Thanks and have a great day x

Dear Jane
I find that regularly using a cuticle oil, a nail hardner ( I can't remember the product's name ??Tip top?? but it is in a green round bottle that does not look like a nail polish bottle.. works well!)
Try to avoid working in harsh chemicals and water (like washing dishes!) without plastic gloves. Putting an acrylic or gel layer over your own nails may also help protect them.

Posted by: BMJ | 2009-09-15

Dear Jane

Your nails are dehydrated. Be very careful of using any top or base coats that harden your nails as most of them contain formahaldilyde (Spelling ?) which dries your nails even further and will stain them yellow. You can do the following:

1. If you can get your hands on a product called LCN nail serum, it is fantastic and restores moisture to your nails. You paint it on like water. It really is fantastic.
2. Avoid water and EVERYTIME your hands were in water and at least 3 times a day rub a rich hand cream into your hands and over your whole nail.

Reply to BMJ