Question
Posted by: Cristina | 2009-07-08

Mysteriously swollen glands

Dear Dr Breedt,

I' m concerned about a friend of mine. He' s been complaining about tender glands for months now, but doctors/specialists have not been able to pinpoint the cause.

They say that his glands don' t appear swollen and his blood tests for STDs were all negative. His main concern is that he may have HIV and that he was tested too soon to know. Could it be HIV? Or could it be psychosomatic?

Dear Christina
He may need to be tested for infectious mononucleosis and can always do a repeat HIV test to make sure - I would also do a full blood count and differential count to exclude any blood diseases.