Posted by: Patricia | 2009-04-30

Mysterious pain

Dear Doctor,
There' s one spot in my abdomen that hurts very often. I went to the doctor to have it checked and he couldn' t determine the cause or exact location, but he suggested I have my urine analyzed and found a bladder infection. I took medicine to solve this but the pain didn' t go away. I feel this pain on the left side of my abdomen, not too far from my kidney, but I have the feeling it' s inside my bowel. I do sometimes have sharp pain in that kidney that only lasts a few seconds, but I think my problem is the intestine close to the " exit"  because the pain gets a lot more intense the moment I empty my bowels and I decided to provoke diarrhea and the pain got milder for a few days. I have a lot of gas and feel general discomfort sometimes, but the same spot hurts a lot more than the rest, which makes me think there must be something wrong with that small area. My doctor has checked me twice because of this and I think he doesn' t believe me anymore when I say I still have this pain. What can I do?

Dear Patricia
A possible cause could be an ovarian cyst, so I think you should have a sonar of the area. If nothing is found, the next step would be to go to a gastroenterologist, to do a colonoscopy (they look into the bowel with a flexible scope under light anaesthetic) to see if you have any signs of inflammation in the bowel or polyps or signs of cancer or diverticulitis. I agree with you, one should not ignore a constant pain.

mmm, spastic colon maybe? sounds exactly like the pain i had and my doctor diagnosed me with a spastic colon and put me on pur-blocka.

Posted by: Patricia | 2009-04-30

I forgot to say my father has cysts in both his kidneys, so my doctor suggested I have an ultrasound done and everything with my kidney seemed to be normal, despite the fact that I feel sharp pain from time to time. Anyway, I have the feeling the painful spot I was talking about is not in the kidney.

Reply to Patricia