Posted by: Hopeful | 2010-08-31

I had a myomectomy in June 2010 and have been TTC before this for almost 2 years. I want to know how successful will the operation be in helping me to get pregnant. My gynae told me to wait till end November 2010 before he can start me on any treatment. I''m now 32 years and so worried I may never fall pregnant. I''d love to have 2 kids but feel like time is running out. HELP!!

Dear Hopeful

The presence of a fibroid or fibroids is not usually an indication of infertility. However the presence of a fibroid may result in miscarriages. The fact that you haven’t conceived for two years may indicate other possible causes that may be present in making it difficult for you to conceive. Firstly you would need to check you hormonal levels and see if ovulation is taking place and all your other hormones are normal. Next you will have to see if your fallopian tubes are opened and that they haven’t been damaged. Lastly your husband will need to go for a semen analysis to assess if there are no male factors present that may be contributing to you taking longer to conceive. You and your doctor will then be in a better position to ascertain if you will be able to fall pregnant soon or require some assistance.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Posted by: Dee | 2010-08-31

Not sure why you have to wait but if I were you Id change gynaes.

Reply to Dee