Question
Posted by: Francois Nel | 2009-09-23

Myeloma Stem Cell procedure

I have been diagosed with Multiple Myeloma and is on medication since march this year. My M-count has come down from 17 to 4 and the Oncologist is planning to perform a stem cell transplant in November. I have tio undergo a lot of tests on the 2nd October to ensure I have no virus or infection present and also a ECG and RT scan of my heart (had 3x stent implants in April). I read a lot about the stem cell transplant for Myeloma on numerous websites and is a bit scary of the procedure. What is your learned opinion on the success of the procedure and possible extention of life after the transplant? It appears to be the only treatment that could give one a few years more if you have MM.

Expert ImageStem Cell Guest Expert

Bone marrow transplantation (BMT) has been used very successfully to treat patients whth multiple myeloma. The BMT is done to replace the body's normal blood-forming cells which will be destroyed by chemotherapy. BMT itself is not a cure for multiple myeloma, but it does allow the body to recover its blood forming capacity after chemotherapy, which allows your oncologist to use chemotherapy more effectively. I am certain you are in good hands and there is no need to be fearful of the procedure.

1
Posted by: Rob Harrison | 2009-09-23

Francois. I had that procedure in may 2006 and have never looked back! Leading a normal life, but also thanx to many people who prayed for me

Reply to Rob Harrison