Question
Posted by: Tarrin | 2011-02-03

Myclonous?

my boyfriend always falls asleep faster than me provided we go to bed at the same time and I''ve noticed when he is drifting off his limbs jerk, he seems to be too far asleep to notice and has never mentioned it to me. i dont look for movement, i feel it but not every night. sometimes it can be small movements and sometimes quite irratic, that if i''m in his arms and his shoulder spasms my whole body moves. Sometimes it''ll be one or two twitches a night, or like last night he seemed like a puppet on a string. his legs indiviually went, then a brief break, than his arm, then something else. I havent mentioned it to him because i dont want to scare him and im scared to wake him up incase it makes it worse. we''ve been sharing a bed for 3 years and i only recall it happening in the last year at the most but it seems to be more frequent or atleast im noticing it more often. I''ve read about sleep myclonous but it says that limps do not move during sleep myclonous, only lips, eyes, etc.

What is it that is happening to him &  why? Is it cause for concern?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

It is only a cause for concern if he is tired during the day. That would mean that it is disrupting his sleep. This is not a difficult thing to treat, but he would need to see a sleep doctor.

If he is not tired during the day, then it is of no concern whatsoever.

2
Posted by: myosufferer | 2011-02-05

myoclonus could be a possibility (i know from experience) however this would more specifically be referred to as hypnic jerks which is very common and perfectly normal. it normally happens as you''re falling asleep, it''s almost as if your body thinks you''re dying, so to speak, so it jerks in an attempt to wake you

Reply to myosufferer
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2011-02-04

Reply to Sleep expert