Posted by: Tom | 2009-04-07

My workout

I was wondering if you could asess my workout, is it alright? Is it missing anything? I go gym Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. My main goal is to increase and maintain muscle mass.

5Mins X-trainer
5Mins Treadmill
5Mines Rowing machine

Sits ups - 20 Reps
Dorsal Raises - 15 Reps
Twist sit ups - 15 Reps

Chins ups - 6-10 Reps
Clean + Press - 3 Sets 10 Reps
Bench Press - 3 Sets 8 Reps
Chest Press - 3 Sets 8 Reps
Cable Row - 3 Sets 8 Reps
Lat Pulldown - 3 Sets 8 Reps
Seated Military Press - 3 Sets 8 Reps
Arnie Press - 3 Sets 8 Reps
Barbell Curls - 21' s
Dips - 3 Sets 15 Reps (Mondays and Fridays only)
Cable Rope pushdown - 3 Sets 8 Reps (Wednesdays only)
Leg Press - 3 Sets 8 Reps
Squat - 3 Sets 8 Reps

Hi Tom

It's not bad. But assessing a workout can't happen in isolation. You have to ask whether this is the same thing you'd be doing every single day. Because if so, then it's suddenly not good because tehre's no variety. And also, you're mixing muscle groups and that might make this very difficult to sustain. If for example, you find that by Wednesday, you're tired, what do you do Fridays? The point is, a programme is more than a single day.

What you have got is a good combination of all the necessary ingredients. But my thinking is that you'd be better off splitting them, doing more cardio on a given day, or being more focused on a specific muscle group, and alternating them.