Posted by: Going down | 2009-01-14

My work makes me ill

I’ m a mature lady who has for the same person for many years.(private business) He is quite demanding and up until recently I’ ve sort of coped and found a way to work with him. I virtually run the business for him and it appears to me he is semi retired which makes me resentful as I had to take a big cut in salary when business was slow. But thankful I had a job.Now he had started a 2nd business and getting me involved despite how busy I am and puts extreme pressure on me. Everything is urgent. At first I politely said I was busy and it would have to wait. Not good enough.
I now have a physical reaction when he comes into office. Firstly I used to take Rescue Remedy now and then but lately feel physically ill when he arrives at the office, I’ m aggressive and cheeky. I cannot seem to find another job as I’ m in my fifties and also cannot seem to change my attitude.
This is affecting my marriage and I’ m miserable. On the positive side the job is close to home and there is flexibility if needed. What to do to change my head !

Is it possible to sit down calmly with him, and explain that you value your job, although the salary cut was hard to take ( and I suppose that might in part be funding this new venture ) --- but its hard to take on the extra work he is expecting now, in addition to your regular work --- and that of course you don't want the quality of your basic job to decline doe to becoming over-stretched. As Hope* says, he is probably not entitled to expand your job without adjusting your salary up, and without your consent. Maybe a labour lawyer, or Dept of Labour, or CCMa can advise you on that

Posted by: milly | 2009-01-14

i think you are and have been in a comfort zone for far too long!!!

Reply to milly
Posted by: Hope* | 2009-01-14

Your boss is really taking you for granted. I am sure there are laws regarding the second business as you were employed to work in the first business only. Should you not then get an increase and a new letter of appointment. Take this up with him and/or perhaps ask for an assistant because your work load is far too much.

Reply to Hope*