Posted by: Husband | 2009-07-07

My Wife has panic

My wife has Panic attacks often, she has had them for many many years. What can I do to help her when she is having a panic attack? She can' t breath and has terrible heart pains. They only last about 10 minutes, but what can I do in the middle of her panic attacks to help her. I feel so helpless just watching her.

Expert ImageArchive

Psychologist: It is often helpful to remain calm yourself. It is important to get her to sit down and if possible move her to a different room or away from anything in her environment that may be stressful (or noisy). Her breathing is likely to be quick and shallow, so get her to concentrate on her breath (also externalising her thoughts from thinking about anything catastrophic or terrible). Then ask her to slow her breathing, breathing deeper and measuring her breaths. You can get her to count her breathing: count to three breath in slowly....count to three breath out slowly. Continue this until she begins to feel calmer.