Posted by: Colleen | 2009-02-19

My Vet....

I just need your advice on something.

I have a 8 month old cat - I must admit that we are not quite sure of her age because we rescued her, our intentions was never to keep her but to find a suitable home for her. She is an albino with blue eyes, when we found her she had mainge and we took her to the vet to be treated, the vet also informed us that she was deaf. In the end the little " bugger"  clawed her way into our hearts and we decided to keep our " special needs"  cat.

Since we found her we have been going to the same vet, she got all her infections from him and also the treatment for mainge. When we wanted to take her to get her spayed, the vet told us that her mainge is starting up again and it is best for us to wait a month or so.

We kept on with the treatment and made an appointment to get her spayed - she had to go in for a pre - op to check if her mainge cleared up.

Went in for the op, two days after the op I had to rush her back to the vet, she was sneezing had a high fever and her " white eyelids"  came halfway over her eyes.

Our vet then told me that she' s got cat flu - gave me treatment and send us home.

Here comes the part that I am very upset about. I was qouted R560 to have her spayed - Vets Bill is R890 - because she was on heat and there was more bleeding.

I got charged R220 for the pre op appointment which the vet insisted on.

I then got charged another R220 and the medication when I took her in with the cat flu.

I am a bit upset - the staff at the vet confirmed that they were treating a animal which had catflu and that my cat' s cage was next to it.

I asked the vet about it and he said she could have picked it up anywhere - because she is deaf we keep her inside - so unless I' m a carrier I dont know.

I think it is ridicilous to be charged for consultations - I don' t mind paying for her treatment - but according to me she picked up the cat flu there.

When I confronted him about this he said that her shots must not have been up to date - but he gave all her shots to her himself and her vets card was checked prior to the op.

I love my cat and I dont mind paying for the medical attention that she needs, but I think I am been taken for a ride here.

I would like your advice - Is this the norm?

I have a great deal of respect for your proffesion - and I do understand that vets have bills to pay too, but I just think this is wrong.

Dear Colleen

Ideally cats with infectious diseases should be in a seperate area and all the staff have to be very vigilant not to infect the healthy cats coming in for routine operations. I would put this all in writing to the vet and hopefully you will get a helpfull response. If the know for sure that she was next to a infectious cat you have a strong leg to stand on.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-19

Interesting... I wonder how long it takes for the disease to show itself after infection takes place - if you find this out, and the time frame fits, you may have more leverage.

Reply to Chill