Question
Posted by: Just me | 2011/12/19

My very special JR

Hi. My JR is just over 7yrs old. The vet told me that she has not seen a JR of that age in such excellent condition. My baby does however have some troubles that affect her and maybe you can give me alternative advice. She is allergic to grass and at certain times of the year really have trouble with rash on her tummy and snorting noises when breathing followed by some coughing. I suspect it also affects het sinusses and ears as she rubs her face on the bed or carpet and shakes her ears ofter. She also scratches at her right ear often. The vet said I can give her Allergex 4mg a day but then she just wants to sleep all day. I do give it to her when I can see she really needs it. She gets REALLY scared when there is a thunderstorm and the neighbour''s quadbike running and edgetrimmers and firecrackers. She shakes and shivers and alot of panting and in bad situations she would start digging (anything - even the tiles) or climbing. I found that it helps a little to leave the light on if it''s dark and sit up with her but neither of us get any sleep then. The vet suggested Rescue Remedy - 1 tablet a day and not at the same time as Allergex - but I could not see that it helps her. I do not like it when she it scared or uncomfortable like that but also do not want to give her meds that affect her. I am also worried about how she would be affected should/when my dad pass - he has cancer. She spend alot of time napping next to his bed and would always nudge him with her nose when he is having a down day. She actually does that with all of us when we''re feelling down and after giving her a scratch you do feel better. To us she is very special so please how can I help her?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi there, it is lovely to hear your vet's comments - congratulations! If your dog is definately reacting to grass and only getting itchy when she is on it, although it sounds very simplistic, I would keep her off the grass, especially when it is seeding, which is when it seems to be worse for some dogs. For elimination purposes, teach her to eliminate on concrete and keep her on the pavement on her walks.

Instead of giving you all the info here on the forum for both Storm Fear Phobia and teaching Alone Time, which would take several pages, I am going to suggest that you have a look at a free website I run for dog lovers. It is www.friendsofthedog.co.za and in the DogStuff section you will find an article called Storm Fear Phobia where you will find full instructions as to how to deal with this terrible phobia.
With regard to teaching her to be alone, we are busy with the site at the moment and you will find an article on Separation Anxiety on the Home page. Although your dog does not have Seperation Anxiety there is a definate possibility that she will stress after your Dad passes, and this article teaches you how to get a dog to cope to being alone.
In this article there is the first two basic TTouches and I would suggest that you do these as well, and if possible learn how to do this wonderful modality which will help her with both the storm phobia and the separation from your Dad.
She sounds a lovely little thing and if you are having trouble with any of the exercises in the articles, please dont hesitate to contact me again. Good luck Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/12/19

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert