Posted by: Concerned | 2012-09-25

My toes

I have curly toes. They curl in making it difficult to wear high heals and it looks horrible when I''m relaxing with my feet up in the air they curl in. I think it''s because my feet were squashed in my mothers womb that I have this problem. Is there some sort of operation that can be performed to fix this problem and to straighten out my toes. A friend of mine had her toes shortened and her feet look fine now.

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Thank you for your e-mail, your toes could be genetic or caused by ill-fitting shoes. Foot surgery could be very complex and involved and often the success depends on the rehab program that is followed post surgery and shoes that are worn post-surgery. Shoes should always take on the shape of your feet and shoes that causes discomfort should be avoided. I would suggest a consultation with a podiatrist that could assess the toes and it's function and that could refer you then to an orthopedic surgeon with a special interest in foot surgery. For your nearest podiatrist or contact the office 0861 100 249

Posted by: Marie | 2012-10-16

I do believe the title sholud be Fem Babes or Fem Babies  I thought you were talking about birth month when I first saw it.The most likely explanation is, That just doesn''t occur to people, or maybe most people think of infant gender as exogenous. A close second is, Necessary interventions are perceived as being cost ineffective i.e. aborting male embryos would not be worthwhile, and investment in pre-implantation screening would be better spent on the kid''s college fund.There are a couple of factors that may mitigate the point overall, however. First, one could argue men have it better in modern society, so what if they don''t live as long? (I''m not advocating this position.) Second, those life expectancies are probably at birth. Life expectancy at, say, age 18 is probably rather similar. Since people don''t seriously consider their kid dying young (or don''t care as much if the kid dies in infancy), that may explain things. Third, it''s possible that families prefer male children, so even if Marginal Utility Child (Child is male) is lower than MUC(Child is female), MUFamily(child is male) may more than compensate. Fourth, it might be a collective action issue. If everyone took the view, Let''s have female kids! that generation would suffer pretty badly from a gender imbalance. Thus, at least in the West, any strong gender-preference meme is defeated by other social-stability/values memes.I might add that, while I''m generally quite critical here, I rather liked this post, and have rather liked a number of recent posts. The signaling purpose of this statement is left as an exercise to the reader.

Reply to Marie