Question
Posted by: Thabisile Gumbi | 2010/06/01

My teen steals money

I am worried about my daughter 13 she steals money from me and I have done everything in the book to try and stop her. I have spoken to her, punished her, deprived her of school trips etc but nothing seems to work - what shoul I do?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Thabisile,

when you spoke with her could she give you any reason why she was stealing? In teens, this can sometimes happen because they are becoming competitive with their peers and wanting money to spend on posessions and clothes. However, it can also be an attempt to get your attention and let you know that emotionally all is not well. For this reason I would suggest she sees a therapist, preferably someone who specialises in adolescents. Your family doctor, or your daughter's school should be a able to recommend someone to you.

4
Posted by: Realist | 2010/08/13

If she carries on like this she will be ideally suited for a position with any Municipality or Government department when she leaves school.

Reply to Realist
Posted by: NEEF.. GERT | 2010/07/02

THABISILE THRE CN BE MANY THINGS WRONG BT U HVE TO GET TO THE ROOT OF THE STEALLING, AND ONLY SHE CAN TELL U WHAT IT IS, COULD BE THAT SHES ON DRUGS AND HAVE TO SUPPORT HER HABBIT, IF THEY STEALLING, THE LAST PERSONE THEY WANT TO TELL WHY, IS THE PERSON THEY STEALLING FRM , TRY AND GET SOME PROFESIONAL HELP. COULD GET OUT OF HAND. ALL THE BEST..

Reply to NEEF.. GERT
Posted by: Patricia | 2010/06/07

Thabisile, please ignore the 2 above comments. People don''t understand what you are going through until they have been through something what you and your teen are going through. Your teen needs help, she needs to open up to her problem I know I''ve been there not with my child with my grandchild. Please report back what the outcome was. Good Luck.

Reply to Patricia
Posted by: Patricia | 2010/06/03

You duidnt mention if you divorced, however you have to get to the bottom of this, she might be stealing money to buy drugs/cigarettes, this happens amongs school children, maybe you should consider taking her for counselling. Good Luck

Reply to Patricia