Question
Posted by: Mattheuws | 2010/02/11

My stupid idea

I have decided to quit my job next year and go back to University. I am 25 yrs and recently moved back to my mom.

A quick background:

I became very ill in my Gr 12 year, I had depression and things was very bad, I ended up in hospital twice trying to kill myself. It was a hectic time for me and my mom took 3 month from work to look after me, I was on medication etc. I had dreams and was left behind when I became sick. So in time, I got better, finished school, went to study a small course in art and design and I am now working as a graphic designer. I picked up my life.

But, I never got to do what I wanted to, and now I am ready to do this, it started when I decided to study a degree at UNISA, I had an option between two courses, I kept on changing the course, I knew it was not something I wanted to do, so I decided to go for the life long dream course, its a hectic, expensive 3yr course, and I would have to rely on my mother to help me, I am a hard working and honest worker and I am reliable, I decided to work part time etc, its really difficult for me because I have my comfort zone and I get a salary and next year I' ll be poor as hell but I KNOW I will be happy because I will be enjoying what I am doing. Am I selfish? It feels like no one in my family is supporting me, but I am willing to give up everything, I feel so good about this but why don' t I get any support? I wrote an email to my mom now asking her to be honest ... I have already made up my mind and if she doesn' t want to help, Ill work something out, but there is absolutely no turning back ...

You don't sound at all selfish - and in planning for your own future, surely you OUGHT to concentrate on what is practical but which may make you most happy. OThers in your family don't need to support you, and you don't need them o do so. Succeed, and prove that you have made the right decision

5
Posted by: Crystal | 2010/02/12

Dear Mattheuws,

All of the best! If this is your dream. MAKE IT HAPPEN
X

Reply to Crystal
Posted by: Mattheuws | 2010/02/11

I know financially it would be like hard but Crystal, this is something I have waited for, to be exact, 9 yrs ... Las year my mom went through a crisis with her new boyfriend, she needed time on her own and I took my little brothe in, it was hard for me because he' s a rebel and the total opposite of me, I cooked, cleaned, washed his clothes etc for him without any assistance. I was then only 24! I helped him pass his gr 10 and he got 3 distinctions! All am asking for is to give me an oppertunity.

But like I said come what may, I will finish this course, this time nothing will stand in my way, not even family ... I will make a success out of it! Thanks guys!

Reply to Mattheuws
Posted by: Crystal | 2010/02/11

Dear Mattheuws,

I am all for following your dream. However you need to be realistic when it comes to expenses and how much obtaining that dream would cost… .specifically if you will not be footing the bill yourself…  Maybe wait a year and save up to help pay for the course. Maybe have an agreement with your Mom to pay her back once you are successful. And also commit to finish what you started. Also remember that it won’ t only be paying for the course but also looking after your living expenses, all of thing things add up so maybe from you families side it not about supporting but being able to afford your dream

Reply to Crystal
Posted by: Mattheuws | 2010/02/11

I just try hard and I am very supportive and thankful for what my family have done for me, but I need their support in my choice!

Reply to Mattheuws