My step-daughter

Hi all

I desperately need your advice. I have a 19 year old step-daughter, to me it seems as if she' s having a difficult time. She hardly talk to us (me and her dad). Most of the time she' s quite and grumpy.
I know that her mum left her when she was yrs old. I don' t know what happened between her dad and her mom, I was not even in the picture at that time. They were not married, and she does not communicate very well with her dad. I don' t wanna be involved in their past, but I would really like to help. I' ve tried so many times to talk to her, but she always keeps her distance. Sometimes she will be nasty towards me, be disrespectful and so on. I' ve never done anything to hurt her, I' ve been so helpful towards her, try to meet her needs needs, even spend my money to buy her whatever she wants, she never ask her dad for anything, except for things needed at school etc. I never tried to be hem mom, coz I know I' ll never be her, am just trying ma best, but I am the only one who' s trying here, she' s so negetive I just can' t take it anymore. I wish they could sort their issues and leave me out of them. What would you do if you were in ma shoes?.....should I just keep quite and pretend everything' s fine?..............oh!, I' ve tried that by the way........

I'm amazed that other readers haven't responded helpfully, here. Its really hard to tell from a distance. In many ways this sounds like a normally annoying teenager. Or she could be seriously Depressed. Only calm discussion with her, or perhaps arranging for her to be seen by a good local psychiatrist for assessment, could make this more clear. Stop spoling her --- no teenager should be bought everything she wants. And maybe occasionally buy her something nice but not very expensive WHEN she has earned it by good behaviour, friendliness, and talkin g with you. At present, she may feel she's getting rewarded for being aloof and mysterious

Posted by: Lauren | 2009-05-21

It may be that she feels resentment towards you and her father. No matter how long her parents have been seperated for it' s still hard. She may be hurting inside. Maybe instead of trying hard to get through to her, step back and let her come to you. Or maybe try go to the movies, etc together. Bond. Not expect her to pour her heart out, but just bond.

Reply to Lauren

Thanx for your response CS. I really appriciate it. I' ve tried to talk to her dad bout her seeing someone professional, I' ve talked to her and assured her that she can trust me, I' ve also talked to her dad bout the situation.