Question
Posted by: Ayesha | 2012/01/25

My son cannot relax enough to sleep

My 7 yr old unfortunately inherited my inability to calm down and sleep. He gets so tired but cannot fall asleep. Even on the weekends or during the holidays he cannot manage an afternoon nap. I am at my wits end. Chamomile tea, lavender.... Help please

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Afternoon naps are not an essential at this age.

Make sure that his bed time stays constant, that you don't get him over-excited at least for the hour before he goes to bed, and that the hour before he goes to sleep is a quiet time between you and him - a good time to read a story, maybe talk about things that happened during the day, and what is due to happen the next day.