Question
Posted by: Art3001 | 2010/02/09

MY SON

We as parents have done almost every thing to help our son.
We have done all the tests as well. This is the last straw as we can not take this any more. Our son is only 6 turning seven in May.
His is stealing money in grade 1 from other childern. But he does not like it when they steal/ hurt him. We as parents give every thing to him that he wants. The school is not standing for this as it is a private school. The term has not even started '  so called' .
Please help we don' t know what to do any more.

Some troubled kids don't make the connection :"IT hurts me when people do this to me" and "So it must hurt them when I do it to them". Giving him everything he wants isn't l;ikely to be a solution. Popl then often want even more than whatever they're given. Take him to a child shrink for a proper in-depth assessment, and then discuss realistic treament options.
I don't know which "tests" you refer to, but a proper assessment must involve direct and skilled personal interview, and not only pencil-and-paper tests

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010/02/09

You give him everything he wants, and there you have the problem. He thinks he has a right to anything he wants including things that belong to other people. This child is crying out for some boundaries and discipline in his life. You are his parents, not his friends. Go on some parenting courses and see a child psychologist to evaluate him and help you come up with effective strategies. And by the way, my 7 year old' s state school won' t accept this kind of behaviour either.

Reply to Maria