Question
Posted by: Worried mom | 2009-07-29

My son!

My son is 4 years old.Im starting to get worried about him!.Babys outgrow that startling-reflex where they through open their arms,mine never did,he did that up tp nearly a year.He started being scared of loud noises like a small aircraft flying by(we do not live in the city),and like a hot air balloon.That blowing noise of the hot air!The noise drives him into the house.If the 911 ambulance helicopter comes past the house,he will be coming running into the house!He`s scared to go on a jumping caslte because of the blowing of the wind into the thing.He`s very,very scared of being alone and the dark.(he constantly calls me!He goes crazy if some-one plays with him and wants to pick him up higher than thigh height!He`s just unnaturally scared of stuff.I dont know how to handle this anymore,and im scared it will effect his life later on!Must i take him to a therapist?Nothing really changed in our life,since birth!

Interesting question, and some nice responses. It's true that some kids are much more sensitive in general, than others. And some odd phobias arive without any reason anyone discoveres, and later they disappear, again without any reason being apparent. But some of the reactions you descibe sound a bit extreme, and if it is practical to take him to see a reachable child psychiatrist ( you don't mention where you are based ) might be a good idea. They have pleasant ways of exploring a child's fears and concerns, and could larify whether there is anything one should worry about here ( probably there won't be ) and can then give you some clear advice on how best to manage this to help him to feel more confident. These may be part of a more general phobia, or a general anxiety problem.

5
Posted by: ss | 2009-07-31

Get you child accessed by ent and audiologist , the seem to issues with his earing (also his balance with come fromr the ears)

My son is autistic , he was very sensitive to loud noise , there is solution offer my OT that correct these noise issues .

Be postive ,it may be a phase he his going throught and playing with other children he can gain confidence

Reply to ss
Posted by: CTMOM | 2009-07-30

He might just be a very sensitive little boy who needs that little bit extra encouraging and love. Nightmares could also cause all this. He is too small to articulate his dreams and cant make sense of them. I know I cant always define my dreams. Thats might be enough to cause these anxieties.

I found out after months of nightmares that my son dreamt that I died and it scared him as he didn' t want to tell me " in case that would make it happen"  and he didn' t know how to deal with it (he is 6 now). The dreams finally stopped, thankfully.

I hope it all works out.

Reply to CTMOM
Posted by: worried mom | 2009-07-30

Me again.No he`s not scared of being near a window.Loud noises like a radio or in a store or a airport,the rumbling noises there,scares him,takes him about 20 minutes to get used to it.
I dont think its heights,because we have Jungle Gym,and he climbes up there like any other child.He loves playing with friends and he`s genarally a happy child,very lovable towards me and his sister and so on!He`s just very very sensitive.He does not want to sleep in his room,he sees stuff,calls me 10 times a night.(was in his own room,until i got too tired after 2 weeks of getting up between him and his little sister)Even if he sleeps with me,he`s scared of dreams,told me he doesnt want to dream)
I just dont know anymore!

Reply to worried mom
Posted by: C | 2009-07-30

When I read your post, it took me right back to when my daughter was between the age of 1 and 3. She is now almost 15. Do not have any advise for you, but wanted to share a similar experience. She had this terrible fear of letting go of a balloon (filled with helium). She got absolutely hysterical when it went up into the air. It was so bad that whenever she attended a party or when we visited a restaurant we had to secretly keep the balloons away from her. As she grew up, this phobia completely disappeared.

Reply to C
Posted by: CTMOM | 2009-07-30

He could have a phobia like fear of heights and noise. I doubt its anything you did when he was smaller to bring them on.

People don' t need to be bitten by a spider to fear them but they do anyway.

Does loud noise on the TV scare him? Does he stay away from Windows? These can all be subtle sings of a phobia.

Reply to CTMOM