Question
Posted by: Y | 2009-11-04

My solution for chronic insomnia

I wonder if you have come accross the following before?

I' ve started having sleep problems in 2002 after following a dietician-recommended fat-free diet. The longer I followed the diet the less time I seemed to be able to stay asleep at night. After following the diet for three months I wasn' t able to stay asleep for more than 1.5 to 2 hours per night (although I fell asleep very easily at my normal bed time).

One day, after about 5 consecutive nights of less than 2 hours sleep per night, I was just too tired to make diet food and instead just made myself a sandwich thickly spread with peanutbutter (which contains about 50% fat). That night I slept 4.5 hours. The next day I deliberately ate fat again and slept 5 hours. Needless to say, I stopped following the diet.

Since this experience the amount of time that I' m able to stay asleep at night seems to be directly corrolated to how much fat I include in my diet. Eating the generally recommended 3 portions of fat per day means I only sleep about 4-5 hours per night. Eating 5 to 6 portions of fat a day allows me more normal sleeping time of about 7 hours (8 when I' m really lucky, but this is not often).

Secondly, supplementation with a high dosage vitamin B complex (such as Bettaway Mega-B) in the morning, helps the quality of my sleep. When I haven' t taken the vitamin B (in addition to a general multivitamin which usually contains fairly low dosages of vitamin B), for about a week or two I start experiencing " restless"  sleep. In other words, I sleep, but it feels as if I' m semi-awake half of the night. Or I wake up and feel anxious (for no cause) and are unable to get back to sleep for an hour or two. I' ve tested this and if I remain without vitamin-B supplementation for longer than 2 week I start having vitamin-B deficiency symptoms such as torn mouth corners / dry lips. I now believe restless sleep to be a early symptom of vitamin B deficiency. I don' t know if there are any studies that have worked on this but it would be interesting to know.

Just wanted to share my experience and because I wanted to know if you know of any studies about the relationship between diet and sleep.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

If you have a very low fat diet, you will be breaking down the fats in your body for energy purposes. One of the products of that breakdown is a substance which is highly stimulating, and will keep you awake.

If you develop symptoms of Vitamin B deficiency after 2 weeks of not taking supplements, it means that your basic diet is deficient in vitamin B. Lack of vitamin B affects nerve function, and gives a restlessness which will often keep people awake.

The moral of the story: we have been through millions of years of evolution, and are designed by it to require a balanced diet. Extreme diets of any shape or form are not good for us. "In all things moderation".

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2009-11-05

Reply to Sleep expert