Question
Posted by: Harry | 2011/08/27

My sisters fiance''s sister

Hello, my sister got engaged to the brother of a girl (let us call her Tarryn) I went to school with. Tarryn nor her parents have wished my sister and my future brother in law congratulations (this is now nearly 6 months down the line). I know this because my sister and I are very close. The wedding early next year, and my B-I-L''s family has not RSVPed. My sister jokes that it''s a whole 6 less mouths to feed, but I can see it hurts her. Especially as she once got lectured by her M-I-L that she should try harder get along with Tarryn as it''s her boyfriends sister, that she will ALWAYS be her sister, etc. I find it wrong that my sister has to be the one to try (she was seriously taken advantage of by them and hasn''t seen or really spoken to them since she and her fiance moved 5 years ago), and that the family can be the ones who don''t have to. I was wondering, as I went to school with Tarryn, should I ask her what her problem is? I know my sister is not confrontational and won''t do it herself.

This other family sound like nasty people who wouldn't be pleasant to spend time with anyway. I agree it's not your sister's duty to struggle to do so. She should behave in a well-mannered way on her side, and leave it to them to be distant or rude if they please. You put your finger on it in the last line of your addendum - tyhey're not worth it.

2
Posted by: Harry | 2011/08/28

May I just add that my B-I-L''s sister is extremely obnoxious, didn''t even acknowlege birthday messages from them, his mother told him that it''s his life when he told her he was engaged to my sister and the father is indifferent to everything. I don''t even know if they''re worth it.

Reply to Harry