Question
Posted by: Yolandi | 2010/04/23

My sister has “ come out” 

Hi, my sister recently told my mother (who then warned me yesterday) that my sister is liking girls now. Now it’ s not really a shock- my family has wondering for years and years. But it’ s just weird now that she has actually told my family.

I feel funny about it- I’ m not treating her any differently, it’ s just weird seeing her act with a girl the way I act with my boyfriend. I have nothing against lesbians at all, please don’ t get me wrong. I’ m just trying to kind of understand why I feel this way. I guess a part of it is jealousy- my mom and her boyfriend are all cool about it, I don’ t know how my dad is going to feel about it yet when I started dating my boyfriend they were up in arms and against him for YEARS. It’ s only in about year that they’ re nice to him. I supposed another part of it is anger. My sister has been on a rampage the past two years with some other chick (that we thought might be more than friends), losing her job every 2 seconds, doing drugs, stealing, etc and now that she’ s over it my family is cool with her. No punishment, all the trust in the world is there, yet when I was 16 all I was doing is sneaking out to be with my boyfriend and they were ready to send me away! I know in the end all that matters is my sister’ s happiness, and I’ m glad she’ s happy. It’ s just weird.

Well, it's nice that what worries you is to understand whu YOU feel a bit odd about this, rather than worrying about why your sister happens to be lesbian. But her "rampage" with drugs, theft, etc., is not acceptable not deserving of being ignored. Is there a difference in the age at which your sister misbehaved, and the age when you did ?

1