Posted by: Impish_female | 2009-05-27

My shrink

Another question...

I visit my shrink regularly to try and have my life sorted out. Molestation, rape, violence etc....

The technique he is practicing on me, makes me feel more like a failure, as it doesn' t seem to help.

What he does is make me think of a certain event. I then have to close my eyes while he taps on both my hands (between the index and middle fingers). He will tell me to take a deep breath and tell him what " comes through" .

The thing is that nothing comes through!!

Is it something I do wrong?

Aha ! So you are seeing a shrink --- who should be able to do for you what I recommended in response to your last mesage ( so long as he isn't one of those shrinks who do nothing except to write prescriptions ). If his methods, though, make you feel a failure, and indeed if they are not based on the well-established CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy model, rather than the discredited and useless analytical models, he might not be the right person to help you psychologically.
This tapping technique has NO good research backing it to establish that it truly works ( unlike CBT which has piles of good research proving its value ) and I consider the tappers merely a fad. Try a second opinion from a different shrink, with a different approach