advertisement
Question
Posted by: heartbroken | 2010/05/22

My puppy died today

I am heartbroken. My beautiful 3 month old miniature dachshund died this morning. She was off her food since Thursday, at breakfast but nothing much else. She slept a lot, although Friday she looked a lot better and perkier. I took her to my vet who wasn''t sure what the problem was. She never had a temperature. Her nose was cold and wet. He thought she may have been poisoned or ate something poisionous. He was afraid she would be bleeding internally into the lungs. I told him I was afraid she was dehydrated. He never treated her for dehydration but gave her an antibiotic, vit k, buscopan injection and sold me a high protein pate to feed her with my finger. He also told me return today if she wasn''t better. He also checked her blood for tick bite fever but it was clear. She only had her second vacinations 10 days ago. She wouldn''t eat the high protein pate and what she did get down vommited up a while later. She vomitted twice between yesterday and this morning. This morning she was worse. I returned to the vet and he said he would put her on a drip. Before he could give her an xray and put her on a drip she died. He called me with the news. When I saw him today he was concerned about a hard lump he felt in her abdomen and asked what she ate? It wasn''t there yesterday. I think the high protein food really made her worse...if her liver was not doing great she couldn''t handle the high protein. She needed hydration not protein! He did a post mortem and told me she had a very enlarged toxic liver. I don''t know what caused it.

Could it have been the vaccinations? A combination of some genetic heredity weak liver and perhaps something she ingested in the garden?

I asked for her body back and buried her in my garden.

It is very tragic and sad. She was so full of life and such a happy little girl and no she is gone.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet

Sorry to hear of your loss.
There are a no. of reasons why a puppy can die suddenly - genetic/anatomical abnormality, infection - (viral, bacterial, fungal), parasitic, trauma e.t.c.
I do not suspect that the vaccines caused the death as we use inactivated vaccines.
Following the death of the puppy I would have prob conducted a post mortem and sent samples to the lab for analysis

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

5
Our users say:
Posted by: heartbroken | 2010/05/30

Thank you Mita, Cybervet, Susan and Ina for your kind words of support and advice.

It has been one of the most difficult weeks I have had. I just feel in hindsight, the vet I saw misdiagnosed and mistreated my puppy. I believe he was negligent and he killed her. I will never take any animal to him ever again.

I usually see his partner who is a lot more gentle and shows empathy, this man was kind of rough.

This whole week I spent crying my eyes out. We gave her a burial and I visit her grave often. My other dog seems to be mourning too - they played so well together, despite their age and size difference.

All I can say is trust your intuition, if something doesn''t feel good, it isn''t. I should have not returned to that vet. Perhaps if I took her to another one she would have still been alive.



Reply to heartbroken
Posted by: Ina | 2010/05/29

So sad as i was crying when reading your mail. I had 2 ducshunds and they lived up to the age of 15 years and what lovely and special dogs. i will always have a soft spot for duschunds and my heart goes out to you. Cry for your little girl and just think of the good times you had with her. God bless you!

Reply to Ina
Posted by: Susan | 2010/05/24

Heartbroken, it is very sad, I know, I lost my 8mth old Dacshund pup 3yrs ago due to mites, nothing the vets did helped her. I know its the last thing you want to hear, but perhaps it was for the best, if she still lived, she would''ve suffered her whole little life with liver problems. Th best you can do is to give her a nice burial with her favorite little toy next to her, cry your heart out my darling and think of the happy times. I have a number of a breeder of miniature dacshunds, I got mine (2) from him a month after my first little one past away and they haven''t been sick up until today!

Reply to Susan
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/05/24

Sorry to hear of your loss.
There are a no. of reasons why a puppy can die suddenly - genetic/anatomical abnormality, infection - (viral, bacterial, fungal), parasitic, trauma e.t.c.
I do not suspect that the vaccines caused the death as we use inactivated vaccines.
Following the death of the puppy I would have prob conducted a post mortem and sent samples to the lab for analysis

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Mita | 2010/05/23

Thinking of you.... I want to cry with you.
I have a 5 month old Golden Retriever that changed my life.....for the better :) Cant imagine life without him.

Reply to Mita

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement